On 04/02/10 21:01, 011013021-Jyotsna wrote:
Dear Mark,
Your suggestions were very helpful .
As per the literature I am following , It is required that the dummy
atom has mass 0 and charge -0.950.Hence , I created the following itp
file with this in mind.
######
; topology for hydrogen.

[ moleculetype ]
;name nrexcl
H2 2

[ atoms ]
; nr type resnr residu atom cgnr charge mass ; total charge
1 H 1 H2 H1 1 0.475 1.00800 ; 0.00
2 H 1 H2 H2 1 0.475 1.00800 ; 0.00
3 DUM 1 H2 DUM 1 -0.950 0.00000 ; 0.00

[ virtual_sites2 ]
; Site from funct a
3 1 2 1 0.074

That gets you an asymmetric dummy atom, which seems weird. David told you how to get a symmetric one. The manual also makes that clear.

[ constraints ]
1 2 2 0.074
######

But during energy minimization I encountered many problems.

Strictly EM is done by mdrun. Your inputs to grompp were invalid, so EM never commences.

The errors are:
########### error ##########
Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'cpp'

Back Off! I just backed up em_ion_out.mdp to ./#em_ion_out.mdp.9#
checking input for internal consistency...
processing topology...
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/ff_dum.itp
Generated 279 of the 1225 non-bonded parameter combinations
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/spc.itp
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/ions.itp
Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'Protein_A'
Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'Protein_B'
Excluding 2 bonded neighbours molecule type 'SOL'
Excluding 2 bonded neighbours molecule type 'H2'
processing coordinates...
double-checking input for internal consistency...
Cleaning up constraints and constant bonded interactions with virtual sites
renumbering atomtypes...
converting bonded parameters...

ERROR 1 [file 2frv_ion.top, line 40]:
atom DUM (Res H2-6) has mass 0

ERROR 2 [file 2frv_ion.top, line 40]:
atom DUM (Res H2-7) has mass 0

Program grompp_d, VERSION 4.0
Source code file: grompp.c, line: 940

Fatal error:
There were 2 errors in input file(s)
Is this due to a problem in the .itp file?

Yep. Dummy atoms need mass, or what is the point?

Mark

Even though i referred to the previous queries made in the forum , I was
not able to get an answer,
Please guide me as to where I have gone wrong .
Thank You,
jyotsna

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 22:42:09 +1100