Hsin-Lin Chiang wrote:

>/ />>/ I doubt the chain identifiers are relevant. Both .gro and .pdb files should />>/ display properly. The only odd instance I can think of is that without separate />>/ chains, some programs may interpret the protein coordinates as a single />>/ molecule, but I would think that would only happen in the rarest of cases (when />>/ the termini are so close that the heuristic bond search algorithms think there />>/ should be a bond between the chains).
/>>/
/>>/ When invoking trjconv, did you use any option to modify the periodic
representation?
/>/ I used
/>/ trjconv -pbc mol -center -n index.ndx ......
/
OK, so this was just a periodicity issue all along.
I'm sorry that I don't understand.
So I did something wrong in PBC by trjconv?

No. You said before you had broken chains. Applying trjconv -pbc mol fixes this issue. Molecules can be "broken" across periodic boundaries and is an entirely normal phenomenon.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Periodic_Boundary_Conditions

And I tried another way.
I change the content of .gro file.
I plus the number of residues in A-chain to B-chain's residue number.
And this new gro file shows the correct snapshot in VMD.
for example
my a-chain has 21 residues, b-chain has 30 residues.
In output .gro file the residue number is  1 to 21 and 1 to 30.

I'm afraid VMD got confused for the repeat number 1 to 21.
So I change 1-30 in b-chain to 22-51.
Then snapshot in VMD become correct.

Then this was primarily VMD's issue.

-Justin

>/ Here I chose a-chain for center and protein for output.
/>>/ >/ Do I have any commend can use instead of chain identifier A and B />>/ />/ mannually? />>/ />/ />>/ /
/>>/ I don't understand your question here.
/>/ I'm sorry.
/>/ I separate chains manually.
/>/ (Add chain identifier A and B manually in vim)
/>/ Do I have any commend of GROMACS can handle this and I don't need to />/ separate chains manually. />/ /
With a merged chain, I think you will always have to add them back in.
Thank you.

MILES-IGERT Trainee