James Starlight wrote:
Justin

    I can't access the file, so I don't know.  20 iterations still
    doesn't sound like enough for the tutorial system, unless you shrunk
    faster than what was recommended.

20 iteration was a simple example. It means that many iterations produced more accuracy results in comparison to previous one :)

OK, please be literal in the future. Providing incorrect or inaccurate information slows you down on your goal to getting a resolution and makes people less likely to help you.

Its only one not understood for me.
After 20 iterations I've obtained S per lipid value= 0.2 nm^2. It's equal to 2 A^2 ( 1A=0.1 nm) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angstrom

I am familiar with this unit conversion. 0.2 nm^2 is, however, 20 A^2 (mind the square term).

Why you told in the tutorial that experimental value was 65 A^2 ?

Because it is. Different techniques give slightly different results, but generally 0.62 - 0.65 nm^2 is an accepted value for the APL of DPPC.

If you have achieved 0.2 nm^2, you have greatly overcompressed your box. Either you did far more shrinking steps than is called for, or you scaled down much too quickly. The procedure of 26 shrinks with a 0.95 scaling factor produces a very reproducible result. You should stick to it.

      Perhaps the value you have set in vdwradii.dat for C radii is too
large for genbox to function properly.

It seems that this is true because I've defined vdv radii as 0.4 instead of 0.375. Could the differense in the 0.015 result in the error?

Likely the error comes from the fact that your box is extremely small, but I would also advise you to not make ad hoc changes to the values shown in the tutorial. They are there for a reason. I have found that a 0.4 nm carbon radius gives undesirable result (an overall lack of sufficient hydration).

Check your box dimensions in the last shrunken .gro file you produced. If the x/y dimensions are any less than 6 nm or so, you've gone too far. In fact, you should be aiming to reproduce whatever the box dimensions were of the original DPPC membrane.

MILES-IGERT Trainee