Steven Neumann wrote:

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>> wrote:

    Steven Neumann wrote:

        On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Justin A. Lemkul
        <jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>
        <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>>> wrote:

           Steven Neumann wrote:

               Hello Justin,

               As you recommended I run longer pulling of my ligand. I
        pull the
               ligand which is on the top of my protein so the top of the
               protein is pulled so that the whole protein rotated app. 30
               degrees - the low part of the protein came out of the box
        due to
               the rotation. After app 600 ps the ligand does not move
        any more
               and the force applied increase linearly. As I saw the
               trajectory, ligand does not collide with a periodic image
        but it
               does not move. Please, see attacheg plot force vs time.
        Can you
               explain why the force increase linearly and ligand is not
        pulled
               any more? This is my mdp file for pulling:

           Is the pulled distance greater than half of the box vector in z?
            That's the only reason I can see things going haywire.  With
        simple
           "distance" geometry, there are some limitations like that.
         Rotation
           itself is not a problem.  You're separating two objects;
        there's no
           clear orientation dependence in that case.

           -Justin

        As you can see the pulling distance is 5 nm. The lenght of my
        box in Z direction is 12 nm. Thus, it is not. Any other ideas?

    No, it's not.  You're doing 1 ns of simulation (contrary to the
    comment, 500000 * 0.002 = 1000 ps) and thus pulling at 10 nm per ns
    you are trying to pull 10 nm in this simulation.  So once your
    molecule hits 6 nm (right at about 600 ps from your plot and the
    expected pull rate), you're violating the criterion that I suspected.

    -Justin

Yep, you are right. I made a mistake with my mdp files. Is there any particular distance the ligand should be pulled away from a protein as its interaction is via hydrogen bonds and hydropobic forces only?

Ideally, you pull to achieve a sufficient distance that the species are no longer interacting. With PME, that's impossible, so the goal should be sufficient distance that the interactions are negligible.

MILES-IGERT Trainee