On 29/02/2012 9:26 PM, Steven Neumann wrote:

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>> wrote:

    Steven Neumann wrote:

        On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Justin A. Lemkul
        <jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>
        <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>>> wrote:

           Steven Neumann wrote:

               I run energy minimization of my protein with implicit
        solvent:
                           constraints = none

                  integrator = steep

                  dt = 0.001 ; ps

                  nsteps = 30000

                  vdwtype = cut-off

                  coulombtype = cut-off

                  pbc = no

                  nstlist = 0

                  ns_type = simple

                  rlist = 0 ; this means all-vs-all (no cut-off),

                  which gets expensive for bigger systems

                  rcoulomb = 0

                  rvdw = 0

                  comm-mode = angular

                  comm-grps = Protein

                  optimize_fft = yes

                  ;

                  ; Energy minimizing stuff

                  ;

                  emtol =

                  5.0

                  emstep = 0.01

                  ;

                  ; Implicit solvent

                  ;

                  implicit_solvent = GBSA

                  gb_algorithm = OBC

                  nstgbradii = 1

                  rgbradii = 0 ; [nm] Cut-off for the calculation of the

                  Born radii. Currently must be equal to rlist

                  gb_epsilon_solvent = 80 ; Dielectric constant for the
               implicit solvent

                  ; gb_saltconc = 0 ; Salt concentration for implicit
        solvent

                  models, currently not used

                  sa_algorithm = Ace-approximation

                  sa_surface_tension = 2.25936

                And I obtained:
                        Steepest Descents:

               Tolerance (Fmax) = 1.00000e+03

               Number of steps = 30000

               Step Time Lambda

               0 0.00000 0.00000

               Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 1000 in 1 steps

               Potential Energy = inf

               Maximum force = 0.0000000e+00 on atom 0

               Norm of force = nan

                        Can you please explain?

           Not without more information.

           1. What is in the system?     - protein without specified box
           2. Which version of Gromacs is this?    - Gromacs 4.5.4
           3. Are you using GPU or CPU architecture?   - I run it
        straight from
           the cluster on a specific node

    Doesn't answer the question, but I'll assume CPU since EM doesn't
    work on GPU's.  Just checking.

           4. Does an in vacuo minimization work (i.e., just turn off
        the GB
           parts)?  - yes, it works

    And what is the output?

    In any case, I can't reproduce any problem doing EM with implicit
    solvent in 4.5.4 - my test systems work quite well.  It may just
    be that the system cannot be minimized because of some clash that
    is unfavorable in an implicit solvent environment (thus causing an
    immediate halt, though that would be odd) but can be resolved in
    vacuo.  Try using the structure produced by in vacuo minimization
    as input into the implicit solvent EM to see if this may be the case.

        What shoould be the value for emtol in implicit solvent model
        with protein with app. 150 residues?

    One that is sufficient for the inherent forces in the system and
    for your application ;)  I don't think there are any hard and fast
    rules here for standard MD, and the target is not dictated by the
    size of the protein.

    -Justin

Thank you Justin.
Mark, would you suggest equilibration e.g. for 1ns with no restraints and no constraints in implicic solvent with timestep =0.0005 and then run MD with implicit employing LINCS?

I have suggested such equilibration protocols in the past for implicit solvent - maybe 1ns is excessive. I've had simple peptide systems with no atomic clashes that have wanted such gentle treatment.