Dear All,

I planned to use the method introduced in the Umbrella Sampling on-line
tutorial of Justin Lemkul
(http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/umbrella/index.html).

But if a peptide is surrounded by a protein, which means the opening of the
protein-complex is not large enough to allow the peptide to leave the protein
without significantly breaking the conformation of the protein in the
protein-peptide complex, is the Umbrella Sampling method still valid for the
binding energy calculation?

Will you please also show me in which part of the tutorial the direction of
pull-apart is defined? We should process it in a direction the peptide can
leave the protein, not the direction protein will bind the peptide much
strongly.

I am looking
 forward to getting a reply from you.

Cheers,