On 12/15/12 4:03 AM, mirc...@sjtu.edu.cn wrote:
Dear All:

I encountered a problem when doing umbrella sampling. The distance calculated
by grompp and g_dist is different, as shown by the following:

grompp  z component of g_dist(since I am constraining the distance between two
groups along the z direction, I should calculate the z component of the
distance, right?)
2.986   2.96
2.953   2.95
2.931   2.92
2.936   2.9355
2.844   2.83

There is an obvious difference between the distance calculated by the grompp
and the g_dist, I also found that some post similar problems in the maillist,
but I didn't found answers for the following questions.
(1)Why there is a such difference?

Probably because the default pull_pbcatom1 doesn't represent your pulled group very well. By default, the atom is chosen as the numerical middle, which may not correspond to the geometric middle in a complex molecule.

(2)Also, does anyone know which value is used in the umbrella sampling
simulations, the grompp result or the g_dist result?

Whatever grompp tells you is what is used.

(3)how to choose the right starting conformations since there is such a
difference?

More likely, you should start by defining pull_pbcatom1 more appropriately.

-Justin

I also pasted the pull code I used as follows:

pull    =       umbrella
pull_geometry   =       direction
pull_dim        =       N N Y
pull_start      =       yes
pull_nstxout    =       500
pull_nstfout    =       500
pull_ngroups    = 1
pull_group0             =       Protein
pull_group1             =       AMA
pull_init1              =       0
pull_rate1              =       0.000;nm/ps
pull_k1         =       4500 ;kJ/mol/nm^2

Thanks in advance!!

Best regards,
Ruo-Xu Gu

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.