On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 15:31 +0200, Sam Geeraerts wrote:

> Op Fri, 28 Mar 2014 20:28:13 -0400
> schreef George Roberge <grobe...@andforthelamb.org>:
>
> > I did not try any other kernels because I figured, from what I saw on
> > that site, that I needed to update my repo list.  Without Internet
> > access that would not have been possible.  I only read through the
> > site fast, though, so if there is an offline way to do it I missed it.
>
> You can use another computer (or OS) to download a linux-image deb
> straight from the repo pool [1]. The copy it to the gNewSense partition
> and install it using "dpkg --install /path/to/file" or gdebi.

I am VERY pleased to tell you that this absolutely worked, and worked
like a charm.  I experimented first using a VM, but that didn't go very
well, I'm assuming because the way the VM interpreted the USB wireless
adapter.  I grabbed the source, headers, and image from the site you
mentioned, and installed them as directed.

The next step was to move the two wireless adapter firmware files
into /lib/firmware, and voila!  After rebooting I was immediately
greeted by a request for my wireless network password.

As a bonus, the OS recognized both the brightness and sound buttons on
the laptop!  The original kernel did not.  Excellent!

And, as another bonus, the gNewSense site it up!

Thank you for your advice, and on to finishing the brochure!
George R.