Let me explain There is no `romrc.d' creation anywhere at the end of
Gngeo install. There is just a static `romrc' put in

Yeah, forgot about that. I should have added it to the makefile.

`/usr/local/share/gngeo' (or similar) and that's all. IMHO, most of
people prefer to still use single `romrc' than manually spliting that
file in hundreads of parts to build his/her `romrc.d' directory.

The idea at the time was (transitionally) to maintain the static file,
and use the romrc.d directory only for new drivers (released by third
parties). The user does not need to split the existing file to use the
romrc.d directory for new releases.

And even if it was the case. In the current Gngeo version I suppose
the `romrc' param (in gngeorc) is still mandatory. So the user must
still have a `romrc' in addition to its `romrc.d' directory which does
the same thing at final ! The `romrc.d' whould currently only creates
useless redundancy, complexity, and potential error/conflict between
ROM drivers.

Yeah, I think I didn't change anything about the parameter, so it is
probably still mandatory. See below

As I told to Mathieu recently (because, like you, I'm a `romrc.d'
advocate, but implemented correctly):  the `romrc.d' directory, that
presents much more advantages compared to the static, fat `romrc'
file, should not only be a simple altenative but its full replacement
to be completely usefull and profitale for the whole Gngeo community !

I can only defend the idea and not patch Gngeo since I'm a crap in C.
But I hope I'm listened and other people worrying about the future
development of Gngeo have the same opinion : monolytic `romrc' must
die !

It should be easy to remove the romrc support. I only left it there
for backwards compatibility because I didn't want to force a split at
that time. It's just a matter of removing a couple of lines.

Here's what can be done:

remove the configuration file parameter for romrc
remove the code that loads monolithic romrc from driver.c
create a directory romrc.d in the source distribution.
Change Makefile to install that directory instead of installing romrc.

If, for any reason, we don't want to split the romrc file right now,
we can just move it inside romrc.d, and it will be used anyway.
Gngeo mailing list To unsubscribe : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]