In a message dated: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:30:45 EDT
[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>  I'm just curious... was Unix ever developed on any of those?  I was pretty
>much under the impression that Unix assumes an 8-bit byte, but I don't
>really have anything to back that up...

It was originally *developed* on a PDP-7 if my memory banks are
correctly ECC'ed :)

I believe it was ported to the PDP-8 at one point, but I don't
remember for sure.  I can check my copy of "25 years w/ UNIX" tonight
when I get home if you wish :)
--

Seeya,
Paul