*sigh*

  I've avoided getting any wireless hardware for various reasons.  Now
I'm in a situation where my life is much easier if I dive in.
  Well, I'm part way there.  I've at least got a wireless card that
works with the access point (whatever it is) that I need it to.  But
having a piece of hardware that only works for me six to eight hours a
day at a specific location just doesn't sit right with me, so I decided
to get an access point for home.  That's when my pain started.
  After struggling for hours to get a Linksys WPC11v3 and a Linksys
WAPv2.2 to talk to each other, I stumbled across several comments on
several mailing lists that indicate that these two devices are not
compatible with each other.  That's right, same vendor and they won't
talk.  Surprised?  I didn't think so.  According to a few postings I
saw, Linksys is aware of the problem and recommends buying an older
version of either the card or the WAP.  The thing that rankles me is
that at least one of those messages was posted in January, indicating
that the problem has existed for at least seven months without a
resolution.
  So I exchanged the WAPv2.2 for a WMP11 PCI wireless card hoping to use
it as an access point in my desktop with the help of the Prism2 HostAP
project.  No dice.  *That* requires a firmware update to firmware that
is not available as an official update from Linksys.  It's apparently
possible to use any prism2 firmware with any vendor's prism2 based
cards, but there seemed to be some indication that some people have
smoked their cards doing this.
  So I'm back on the hunt for a real WAP.  Chump^WCompUSA only carries
one more model that isn't also a hub -- it's a Netgear model that
requires Windows in order to configure it (through its USB port).  I
won't buy it on principle, but I don't have access to any Windows
machines, anyhow (and intend on keeping it that way).  This is trying my
commitment to my principles, however, as I'm at that 'I just want it to
work' stage about right now.
  Does anyone know of a WAP that:

o is configurable entirely from Linux like the Linksys which uses a web
interface
o isn't also a wired hub -- I don't want to pay for what I don't need --
one RJ45 connection is all I need, thank you
o is known to work with the WPC11v3 Linksys card

?

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator