On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, John Abreau wrote:

> Rich Payne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > How many clients are you talking about? I would strongly reccomend
> > looking into some sort of network attached storage device. We use Network
> > Appliance machines. At my previous employer we started out with a pair of
> > Suns and hardware raid 5, then went over to the NetApps. They just serve
> > files for a living, and they do it well.
>
> I'd have to agree with this. Once you get past the sticker shock, the
> NetApp appliances are awesome. I found them to be fast and reliable, and
> the snapshot feature is a lifesaver. At any point in the filesystem, you
> can access a read-only ".snapshot" directory to recover older files.

Yes, they are a bit expensive I admit, but then again, what's your data
worth to you?

> If you delete a file, or overwrite it, there's a copy in .snapshot/hour0/
> to recover it from. If I recall correctly, the system retains 7 hourly and
> 7 nightly xnapshots by default. So you can always recover a file to its
> previous state from 1 hour ago, 2 hours, etc, and 1 day ago, 2 days ago,
> etc.

It's actually configurable by the administrator. You can choose how many
shanpshots to keep, how often to take them and how much disk space they
can take up.

> The snapshots are actually pointing at the same inodes that the main file
> used; if a file hasn't been changed for at least a week, then all the
> snapshots are sharing the same inodes for that file.

One interesting thing I found out about the NetApps is that the physical
position of each disk isn't important. You can take all the disks out, put
them back in a different order, even in different shelves and when you
power the box back on it will find everything and go on it's way!

--
Rich Payne
http://talisman.mv.com