Good morning, Ken,

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Ken Ambrose wrote:

> How do I get logged in to a remote host, via ssh, w/o password prompting,
> a la the rhosts file?  I can do it with SSH v1, but v2 seems to give me
> some problems.  I've plugged the public key into the authorized_keys file,
> but no dice.  Any suggestions?

        Keys in ssh protocol 2 are a pain - unlike ssh1 where the
filenames and file format are standard.

        Head over to http://www.stearns.org/ssh-keyinstall/ .  Pull down
the latest rpm or tar file and run.  You'll need netcat installed on the
system - comes with current distributions as "nc...rpm"
        To run it, type "ssh-keyinstall -s the_ssh_server" .  It will
install your ssh key to the remote machine in the right format in the
right file.  You'll need to type your password on the remote box a number
of times, but that'll be the last times you'll need to type it. :-)

        I have some additional articles and resources at:

http://www.stearns.org/ssh-keyinstall/
http://www.stearns.org/doc/ssh-intro.current.html
http://www.stearns.org/doc/ssh-techniques-two.current.html
http://www.stearns.org/fanout/

        Cheers,
        - Bill

        I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert.
(Courtesy of "Michael J. Dark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)