On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 10:43, Ken Ambrose wrote:
> Howdy, all.  Not that I would ever, ever, ever condone anything that might
> even be considered possibly illegitimate, but I'm wondering how the heck
> I'm supposed to play encrypted DVDs from Debian.  I've downloaded Ogle and
> Xine, as well as libdvdcss, and:
> Ogle seems to see libdvdcss ("libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.2
> for DVD access"), but then bombs out with "###!!!!!##demux: dvdreadblocks
> only got 2, wanted 17".  Xine just fails 'cause it can't open encrypted
> stuff.  Should I download the sources and compile from scratch?  Or is
> there some other way to fly?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ken

I've heard good things about mplayer; I think there are some unofficial
debs available, but the official line is that you should compile it
yourself for best performance.  http://mplayer.nmeos.net/ has directions
and apt repositories for installing mplayer on Debian.

I don't think I've tried an encrypted DVD yet, but it did work nicely
with the DVD of our wedding video (which I'm assuming is not encrypted).
--
Stephen Ryan                                        Debian Linux 3.0
Technology Coordinator