On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 11:02, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[snip]

>       - and an X.3 release is pretty much unheard of, and IMO,
>         indicative of just how much was wrong with the entire 7.x
>         series :)

  Minor nit: I know the inside story about why there was a 7.3 and can
only say that it had zero to do with the problems or lack of problems
with 7.2.

[snip]

> Personally, I'd wait until at least 8.1, if not 8.2.  .1 is likely to
> be out within a couple months.

  Well, Red Hat has been pretty darned consistent with releasing every
six months.  As a rule, it has been March and September, sometimes plus
or minus one to four weeks.

> >As a rule of thumb - don't dot oh ?
>
> I certainly don't :)

  I usually don't, but this time I took the plunge since I was much more
involved in testing betas than before.  I haven't seen any major
problems with it (other than problems that are not Red Hat specific,
outlined in my previous two posts on the topic).
  Given the major version change in the compiler, the desktop work, and
the inclusion of OpenOffice.org, I think they've done *much* better job
than the previous three dot-oh releases.  OpenOffice.org is a BIG deal,
by the way: even with all my experience building rpms, I couldn't for
the life of me, starting with the source tarball, manage to get an rpm
built.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator