I need to make a few points, I guess.

kernel-2.2.22 may be an old kernel, but 2.2.22-6.2.2 is the latest
patched version of the kernel. If not for the local exploit, I'd happily
still be running 2.2.19-6.2.16

I never have, and God willing, I never will, build a kernel. If there is
no rpm, then I hope I don't need it.

'make modules' and 'make modules install' won't work since my laptop is
also my firewall/router and has pretty much nothing but the kernel,
networking, pcmcia, and ipchains installed. (And of course the relevent
dependencies.)

Upgrading to a newer kernel/distribution is not a valid option either. I
tried that at home, and I am now getting more error messages, and
missing files, than I ever had before. [What the hell is
libpthreads.so.0 (GLIBC_PRIVATE version)?]

All I wanted to do was rpm -ivh new.kernel and reboot. I have since
rebooted back into the old kernel, and now I'm having network problems.
(I'm still troubleshooting, I may ask about them later.)

Now that we all know my situation, that's for everyone's help up to now.
:)

--
TARogue (Linux user number 234357)
 "There is no right to fair use." -- Preston Padden, head of government