Well, that would have been cheating.  Here's what it really gives:

>>> fh = open(".bashrc")
>>> fh
<open file '.bashrc', mode 'r' at 0x8165d90>

> At least that's how _I_ develop Python programs.  85% trying
> things, 75% of which get thrown away, all of which takes
> 15% of the time "real coding" would have taken, and yielding
> 5% of the errors I'd get in other languages.  95% of the errors
> get thrown away with the 75% of the things tried.

The two things I like best about Python are its ease of use in OO
design and implementation (this is one place where I wouldn't go
near Perl) and its interactive interpreter.  It is just as you say,
a great way to shave time off development, since you can literally
interact with your program in realtime.

I really like it, I just wish there was a truly portable graphics
library (as in, "installed by default on all systems").  I have
been meaning to try out Jython, for that matter....

Erik