(Amusingly, I seem to break every generalization you mention :)

In a message dated: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:00:32 EST
[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, at 6:17pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> As I've said before, I suspect that emacs- and perl-users are actually the
>> higher life forms ...
>
>  I really don't think the choice of tool has much to do with the
>sophistication of the user.  I think it mostly comes down to personal
>preference, and possibly what one learned first.

I actually learned vi first, and vaguely remember way back when,
doing things in vi that, for the life of me, now can't remember how
to do them :)

Some one showed me some neat things in emacs (thanks Tom :) and I was
hooked!

>  I will make one generalization, though.  Now, this is far from a
>hard-and-fast rule, but I think it might hold true more often than not.
>Hypothesis: People who like Emacs seem to want to do all their work within a
>single, all-encompassing tool, filled with extensions to customize it.
>People who like vi seem to be more likely to have many xterms open, each
>with different files, and to look for external, generalized tools rather
>than editor extensions.

I actually have XEmacs up with a lot of different buffers, yet lots
of xterms also doing different things, including using vi/less to
look at various other files *while* editing something else in emacs :)

I both customize my emacs environment and use general tools and
pipelines to accomplish things :)

In short, I use the best tool for the job at the moment, or, whatever
is the fastest to get what I want!

>  I note that the later approach (external tools) bears a strong resemblance
>to key parts of the Unix Philosophy.  A tool should do one thing, and do it
>well.  However, I know plenty of Emacs-fans who worship at the Unix
>Philosophy altar, so I'm not sure that's relevant.

(raised hand) Yeah, I love emacs, and worship at that particular altar :)
--

Seeya,
Paul