On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, at 9:58pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I bet today's modem's have similar issues.  Is there a market for
> upscale modems?  Like the old  USR Courier that could do 19,200 when
> 14,4 was the fastest speed?

  I think the market for such modems has largely been eliminated.  People
want modems to be cheap, and people who care about such things want
something better than a modem.  The fact that 56 kilobits is the theoretical
maximum bandwidth of a POTS[1] line also means there isn't much room for
improvement.

Footnotes
---------
[1] Plain Old Telephone Service.  The technical term (really!) for what
    most people think is the only kind of phone line.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>