In a message dated: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 16:07:41 EST
Mark Komarinski said:

>It all comes back to the quality of the source you're working with.
>If you record a WAV file at 22khz, it doesn't matter if you encode
>it at 320kbps, it will still suck.  I've moved records to CD to MP3
>with little (audible) quality loss.
>
>Yes, transcoding will lose some of your quality.  The question is, how
>much are you willing to lose and how much will you notice?

I never said that going from WAV to mp3 was necessarilly a bad thing.
I was merely stating that sometimes it's not good to convert stuff to
mp3, and the example I was using was of those people who trade live
shows (groups like The Grateful Dead and Phish have huge groups of
followers who trade recordings of live shows).

Making a live recording, then converting to mp3 is fine.  The problem
comes down to when you want trade that show.  You've got a recording,
you've ripped to mp3, you trade it to someone who then wants to write
it to CD so they can listen in their car or wherever.  At this point
they now have to go from mp3->wva->CDDA.  In that process, they've
degraded the quality of recording.  So, my point is, sometimes mp3
isn't good enough.  But, for converting something for personal use so
you can listen on your computer is just fine.
--

Seeya,
Paul