Bob Bell wrote:

    One nit: the $_ in the anonymous block passed to map does not come
from grep.  Rather, it is a reference to each item (in turn) in the
provided list (here, @f).

Upon re-reading my explanation, I came to the same conclusion -- I was thinking that the script worked the way that I would have written it, rather than how it was written! ;) On some level it is still true, though, since the data in @f comes from the grep call.

[ FWIW, I'm surprised Paul bothered to use @f, instead of just
applying map to the results of grep directly ]
Guess we're on the same page.

    Also: rather than "substitute all whitespace in that item for an
underscore", it is more accurate to say "substitute each occurance of
a sequence of whitespace characters in that item with a underscore",
though I believe that's what you meant.
A more precise way of saying it.

Erik