[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:30:58 EST
Kenny Donahue said:

ext3 comes up then it try's to load the ext3 module.

[nit-picking: "tries" not "try's" :) ]

it fails with undefined symbols in jdb.o and ext3.o.
Why is it trying to load modules that are suposed to be
in the kernel!!!! I looked in /lib/modules/linux-2.4.7-10custom/....
and these modules DONT EXIST!!!

Chances are there's a modules.conf or something which loaded these from the default kernel, and it's still trying...

make modules_install

but you probably just blew them away with this step here. (of course, I could be wrong :)

make install

I recommend not doing the make install, rather, manually copying
arch/<arch>/boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-whatever and editing the lilo.conf to add a new kernel. Then run lilo to recognize this new kernel and boot from it.

That way you don't lose your old kernel.

I did do a make modules. Sorry about the spelling but I'm typing in anger. I save the output from my "make install" and it does A LOT more then just copy hte bzImage vmlinuz and System map "make install &> /tmp/makeInstallOutput" Thanks, Kenny