John Abreau wrote:

Kenny Donahue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Ok.... deeep breath. I'm ready to though
Linux out. I've been fighting with a Linux kernel
build for a while now. I'm getting very angry.
I can load a Redhat 7.2 distribution and everything
works. I need to patch the kernel for a project at
work. so, I do my patch (../fs/proc/base.c if it makes a
difference) then....

[snip]

I've been running Redhat for ages, and I've found that it's easier to stick with kernel rpms. Fortunately the stock kernel sources include an "rpm" target, so building rpms from the virgin kernel source should be fairly straightforward. The trick is to load the same config that your system is already using, which you'll find in one of the files under /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs, while in "make xconfig". Then apply your changes from that known-good setting.

Try this:

make mrproper
make xconfig
load config from /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs/kernel-2.4.18-i686.conf
ig
add your scsi driver into the kernel
make dep
make rpm
sudo rpm -i /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686/kernel-2.4.18.i686.rpm
edit lilo.conf ...

When I do this, I like to do the full build without adding my patches, so I can explicitly verify that the pre-patched setup is working.

Note that you want to "install" (-i) the new kernel, not "upgrade" (-U). That way you don't lose the older kernel that already works correctly, so if the new kernel fails you can still boot the system.

Ok, a quick update. I have a booting kernel now. This is where things get weird.
I realized that I had a SMP motherboard. I only have one processor in it though.
I used the kernel-2.4.7-i586-smp.config added my changes and it all worked.

Right now I rebuilding with the same config file but I shut off SMP just to show that
it is a SMP problem. Unfortunately there are a ton of differences between the SMP
version and the non-SMP version of the config files so I can't do a easy compare.
wait.... the build just finished...the build using the smp config with smp turned off
worked. Now I'm confused. I'm going to diff the config files and figure out what is
different.
Thanks,
Kenny