On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, at 4:45pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Here's a stupid question.  Dell recently announced that they're getting
> rid of floppy drives in their systems.

  Just FYI, what they actually announced was that they are making the floppy
drive an option on their Precision Workstation line.  Of course, you can
expect other models and vendors to follow eventually.

> So, when this happens, and we're all living in a floppy-less world, how do
> then do things like 'make bzdisk' ?

  I haven't used "make bzdisk" in ages.  Floppies are so damn slow.

  When I build a new kernel for test, I drop it into /boot/ (along with any
needed support files), and define a new GRUB entry, GRUB makes it very easy
to switch kernels, or modify kernel options at boot.  (Before GRUB, I used
LILO, which was more restrictive but worked well enough.)  And I always kept
my stock kernel around, to boot in case of emergency.

  If I somehow manage to get the system so hosed my backup kernels don't
work (in which case, I'd probably be hosed even if I *had* used "bzdisk"),
I boot from CD and start repairing the system that way.

  If you really wanted some kind of functionality like "bzdisk", I suppose
you could script something to automatically create a bootable CD-RW, but why
bother?  :)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>