Kevin D. Clark wrote:
Spammers are like litterbugs.  When I see litter, I pick it up.  If I
see enough garbage, I complain.  If the spammer continues this
practice, and gets find and or imprisoned, I say that's a good start.
But I don't think that putting on rose-colored glasses and ignoring
the problem (filtering) is the ultimate right answer.

I don't think the current measures are working, either. I just like most of the proposals I've heard even less. Spammers don't need to go to jail. I'd rather live with the cost of filtering and IP blocking than have to deal with the consequences of a law enforcement regime imposed on email. The world needs less fascism, not more.

It scares me that America has become the land where people say, "there oughta be a law," before the go looking for other solutions.