Quoting Derek Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Well, I did not sign any agreement, and I accepted the service from
> the outset with an understanding that I would violate the terms, and
> that MediaOne would not do anything about that unless I became a
> problem child.  I was basically told that by an m1 employee.  So, I'd
> say that's arguable.

  And when I got my licence, I knew damned right well I was gonna speed.  Go
ahead, try that one.  'But judge, I never agreed NOT to speed'.

> We've already established that there is no such restriction.  I can
> send out all the SMTP mail I want without violating the terms of my
> service agreement.  I only can not listen to incoming mail.  So no,
> that's not true.  If you're going to argue the letter of the law, then
> I'll argue it right back.

  And no where does it say you can use whatever protocol you wish for whatever
you like.  It's their at their whim that they provide you service.  I mean,
you do contracting if I recall, and have in the past.  You provided someone a
service.  Now, they're requesting you shovel the crap in the back yard.  Ok,
bad analogy, but it's a funny visual..  ;-)

> I have not.  I have only decided not to accept such mail for myself.
> Even if I make that decision for a group of people, forgery is a
> crime, and as such you do not have the right to forge headers.  Not
> accepting mail on such a basis seems perfectly legitimate to me.

  But how can THEY tell.  Thats the biggie.

> > Woah. Wrong. They are saying "You can only call from a real phone.
> My phone is real enough for sending files via FTP.  So why isn't it a
> "real" phone for e-mail?  Just because you say it isn't?  Who are you
> to decide?

  And with ther proper hardware, I can hookup a phone on any standard
telephone pole.  The service provider will know the difference, but you wont.
It's not a real phone becouse someone decided it wasn't.

> Terminate the spammers' accounts.  Just leave me the hell alone.

  Really?  How do they know who the spammer is?  And how does AOL force
comcast to do this, eh?

> > Uh-huh.... And when the spammer forges your name onto the headers,
> I'm
> > sure you'll pay the fine, too.....
> You know very well it's possible to identify a forged mail.  This
> doesn't deserve a response.  You need to have evidence of the spam,
> which should be easy enough to obtain by seizing the spammer's
> machine.

  Dude.  Later on, I'll send you one.  You tell me what my IP address was when
I sent it, and I'll give you a cookie.  I can promise you it can be done, VERY
easily, in fact.  I will do it, when I have time later on today.  And I will
send an email to someone like John to hold as the information.  Ok, Johns
prolly busy as hell, perhaps I'll just send it here.  But it's possible, and
relatively easy...

> In my argument, the only bad eggs are those who have committed a
> crime, i.e. spamming.

  But they cannot manually scan each and every email to see what was spam and
what wasnt.

> > No, you're not a spammer, but you admit to violating the rules and
> > running a server. So, everyone should be allowed to run an SMTP
> > server, right?
> Until they break the law.  Yes.

Prove they broke it.  Suppose someone on your local network masquaraded on a
remote network as your local IP, which is very possible, as we've all talked
baout before.  How do you prove who broke the law?  And by your logic, are you
gonna hand over your server when it comes in?  Oh yea, and decrypt all that
PGP encrypted mail..  ;-)

> > Let m get this straight. Is the class of people Comcast subscribers,
> > Comcast subscribers that run SMTP servers, people who run SMTP
> > servers, or what???
> Those are all classese of people, yes.

  Sure, it's a form of profiling.  But not one that does any damage.

--
Thomas Charron
-={ Is beadarrach an ni an onair }=-