I'm staging a network setup for a client and I have the following:

2 x 3Com 3cr856-95 Cable/DSL Secure Gateways (these are 4 port switched hubs
with built-in DHCP servers and PPTP/IPsec servers

I've hooked the two gateways directly to each other using their WAN ports -
they do see each other as 100 mbs connections

On one gateway I've attached two nodes and on the other gateway I've got one
node.

I've setup a PPTP tunnel server on one gateway and the other is just a PPTP
pass-thru from the PC that's attached.

The "Internet" setup for each hub:

    Gateway1: IP address 10.10.1.1 (static)
               Gateway address 10.10.1.2
                Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

    Gateway 2: IP address 10.10.1.2 (static)
                Gateway address 10.10.1.1
                Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

A status on either gateway (uses a browser interface) shows that there is
one active tunnel connection (after I connected the tunnel client on gateway
2 to the other gateway's address)

However, I can't ping any address in the LAN attached to the first gateway.
There is one statically addressed PC in gateway 1's LAN and one dynamically
addressed.

My question is "Do I have the gateway addresses set correctly. The only
thing connecting the two hubs is the CAT5 cable. My assumption is that
setting the first device's gateway address to the device 2's static WAN
address and vice-versa should allow the two hubs to communicate properly.

-Alex