From: "Bob Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ben Boulanger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: Dumb networking question...

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:25:50PM -0500, Ben Boulanger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Derek Martin wrote:
> > This is not entirely true.  Many switches have ports that auto-sense
> > whether they should be crossed over or straight through...
>
> Never heard of this - got any models I can look up??  Cool technology
> rules.

    HP Procurve switch that I have recently gotten familar with do this.
They call this feature "Auto-MDIX".

Sample switches with Auto-MDIX:
http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switches/switch2708-2724/summary.htm
http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switches/switch2524-2512/summary.htm