From: Erik Price [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 11:58 AM
To: Cole Tuininga
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: postgresql

Cole Tuininga wrote:

> I agree that it has some great features, but when we looked into using
> it, we found some serious drawbacks to it.  If anybody has comments on
> these, I'd be very interested to hear them.

I don't have any comments except to say thanks for mentioning them Cole,
because I didn't know about any of these.  So, just out of curiosity,
which database(s) do you prefer*?  Again, I've only used MySQL 3.2.x and
HSQLDB so experimenting with some of Postgres's features has been quite
a bit of fun, but I haven't done any real testing or taken a "serious"
look at it.  I'm using it as the back-end for the project I'm working
on, and none of the mentioned problems are real showstoppers -- but I've
also been careful to make sure that the project abstracts this enough to
make it trivial to use another DB.

(* don't feel you have to limit your answer to OSS DBs, though of course
those are always preferred [to me] -- but I personally wouldn't be
interested in any DB that doesn't at least run on Linux.)

Erik