On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:21:03AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello world,
>
>   Red Hat Linux 7.3 (updated)
>   kernel 2.4.20-18.7
>   glibc 2.2.5-43
>   ypserv 2.5-2.7x
>   ypbind 1.10-7
>
>   I've finally had the need to start using NIS on Linux.  It's been a looong
> time since I've worked with NIS, and even then, my involvement with it was
> pretty light.  But I dug out my copy of "Managing NFS and NIS", and read
> through the NIS-HOWTO, and spent some quality time with "man".
>
>   Most things seem to be working well, but I have encountered a problem when
> I attempt to update the NIS maps on the NIS server.  When I do
>
>       cd /var/yp
>       make
>
> I get the error message
>
>       Could not read ypservers map: 3 Can't bind to server which serves
>       this domain

Questions:

1)  Is the Linux box the NIS master?
2)  Is it running ypbind?
3)  Are there slave servers?
4)  (assuming yes to the above) Is the NIS master set to broadcast to find
a NIS server?  And does ypwhich tell you 'localhost' or one of the NIS slaves?
(it may not say localhost, but the machine name, that's okay too).

I'm building an NIS master on Linux (Debian) to replace an existing SGI
NIS master.  I'll let you know if I run into similar problems.

-Mark