On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, at 11:37am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> 1)  Is the Linux box the NIS master?

  The Linux box I am issuing these commands on (and seeing the errors on) is
the NIS master, yes.

> 2)  Is it running ypbind?

  No.  My understanding is that ypbind is only run on NIS clients, no?

> 3)  Are there slave servers?

  No.

  The "main" Linux server is and has been in the main office.  A new, branch
office has been opened, connected to the main office by VPN.  A second Linux
server has been installed there.  The main server is running the "ypserv"
service (as provided by Red Hat); the branch office server (BO server?) is
running the "ypbind" service (ditto).  Most of the hosts in this network are
Windoze boxes, so NIS is only needed to keep the two Linux boxen in sync.

> 4)  (assuming yes to the above) Is the NIS master set to broadcast to find
> a NIS server?

  Huh?  Why would the NIS master need to find an NIS server in the first
place?  Isn't the NIS master an NIS server?

  Keep in mind that my experience with NIS is pretty limited.  :)

> And does ypwhich tell you 'localhost' or one of the NIS slaves?

  ypwhich on the main server (NIS master) tells me

        ypwhich: Can't communicate with ypbind

which makes sense (I think).  On the BO server (NIS client), I get the FQDN
of the main server.

> I'm building an NIS master on Linux (Debian) to replace an existing SGI
> NIS master.  I'll let you know if I run into similar problems.

  I suspect the problem is in the chair, not the computer.  That is, I
imagine I probabbly screwed up somewhere.  I'm just trying to figure out
*where*.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>