[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, at 10:55pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Don't write proposals to increase the use of Linux. Write proposals to

save (or make) the company money.  When appropriate, work Linux or other
Free/Open Source Software into those proposals.

Excellent point.

The reasonning I had was two-fold:

1. The company has put Linux support on the back burner,
2. a)Linux I've found (at least for our company's software) is easier to support
b)I had an idea for a bundled product that would be tit to support as well as make a decent profit.

Number one just bugs me.

Reason 2 is both personal and makes business sense. MS changes the locations of their relevent IIS config settings mo9re often than most people change underwear. If I have to try to support this when the administrators don't know what they're using, it takes up lots of my time and that means money the company has to spend paying me and my coworkers.

A recent announcement at the company I work for that they will be moving
to a .NET base got me nervous.

Avoid fighting against things. Fight for things (like Linux) instead. In other words, don't say "Microsoft is bad", say "Linux is good".

 Also: If your only objection to Microsoft products is that they're from
Microsoft, you have failed to make a good case.

My reasonning is for support costs. If/when we move to .NET, we'd have to retrain the entire support staff. If we standardized on at least say... a Perl base, then no retraining would be necessary.

 But again: Write proposals to save the company money, and work Linux into
those proposals where appropriate.  If you do that, these other problems
with your approach eliminate themselves.

Well, the details of my idea were to suggest a (high-end, price-wise) hardware & software bundle, mostly pre-configured. Fire it up, answer a few questions about passwords and IP info and bang. You're up and running. We charge the most for installations and make the least profit in support. SO... Reduce support and make installs a snap for our field techs and we maximize profit.

My curiosity was if anyone has had much success in talking management into using Linux when you know it's best but management is still hanging on a good sales pitch from a pro in Redmond and how it was done. (Honestly, my idea would work (almost) equally well under Windows, but the licensing fees would be up there... impeding on our profit.)

Brian