On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, at 5:43am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Some guy is setting up a site at various webhosting places and then
> sending out spam that looks like it's coming from ebay.

  Yah, I get these all the time.  I've also seen it for Paypal, AOL, MSN,
Hotmail, and Yahoo accounts, and for various credit cards.  One I saw for
Citibank was very well done, complete with copied graphics and a URL crafted
to trick the unobservant into thinking it was the real Citibank site[1].
And of course there are the countless worms that propagate via email; some
of those capture keystrokes or do other covert information gathering.

  I'm thinking of sending out a bulk mailing that just asks people to send
me lots of money, since it seems that people will believe and do anything
written in an email.

Footnotes
---------
[1] The following URL does *NOT* lead you to Citibank's website:
    http://www.citi.com:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/foo.pl
    It leads to my employer's web server, and says to use credentials
    with a username of "www.citi.com" and a password of
    "system-v3-login.asp".  It results in a 404, since I'm not actually
    trying to harvest information.  But you get the idea.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>