I've always seen that FOSS sites assume you already know what the product
is and can do.  FAQs usually never contain the question "WTF is this", which
one would assume is a FAQ.

Here, here! I wish I had a dollar for every time I picked up a clue about a "gee whiz neato" toy from a mailing list or web site, only to look up the toy and then wonder, "Okay, what does it do and should I spend time learning about it?"

Fortunately, as free software matures, I get the sense that there's more of a trend of explaining things for newbies. (Thankfully!:-)

--
 Regards, | "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket
 .        | fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who