On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 13:21, Paul Lussier wrote:
> >Quick question - what version of python are you running?
>
> 2.2 I think.

Fair enough.  My opinion is: "so long as you're running something newer
than 2.1".  2.3.x is the latest, but until you get a bit more used to
the language, you probably won't notice much difference.

> In this case, speed doesn't matter, but that's good to know, as I'll
> eventually be doing some web/CGI programming where it may well matter
> (is python good for web/CGI ?)

As a CGI language, it suffers much the same as many interpreted
languages.  The interpreter has to fire up, read in the code (plus
included modules), then process.  Python has one minor advantage over
perl in that the first time you run it, it compiles it to bytecode and
saves that as a file.  Saves a step next time you run it if you haven't
modified the source file.

The other option is that there is an apache foundation project
(mod_python).  It's not quite as mature as mod_perl, but it does have
some pretty cool features.

> Ahh, okay. That's good to know.  I can see where I might end up with
> an empty gun and foot full lead doing this :)

Big time.  8)

> Well, my thinking was that it was more a long the lines of a
> 'struct' in C, as noted in the python tutorial.

Ayup.  Dicts are faster anyway.

> >What I *think* you want is to put the "group = gr_struct()" line within
> >I believe the join syntax you want is:
> >member_names = ','.join( members )
>
> Interesting. I didn't know you could do that!

Essentially, everything in python is an object, including a hardcoded
string like ','.  Which means that you can call any string methods (such
as join for instance) on them.

--
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]