Dan Jenkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

>I can configure FOSS products to be as insecure as the worst
Microsoft
>issues. I can configure Microsoft products to be almost as
secure as the
>best FOSS products. (I still think FOSS has the edge there,
due to their
>flexibility and accessibility.)

I think Dan has hit the crux of the issue.  Either Micro$oft
or FOSS products can be configured to be more or less secure
or insecure.

Questions that need to be considered are, how do they rate on
security right out of the box without any special
configuration effort?  How do they rate on ease of proper
configuration?  And how does the overall profile of the
aggregate installed base compare?

Intuitive gut feeling I have is that M$ are not particularly
secure right out of the box, take some effort to configure
properly, and that overall the installed base is not very
secure because the average user does not do anything except
install the product.  OTOH the FOSS products may be somewhat
better about security and configuration ease, and definitely
seem to have a user community that is more likely to take some
pains to secure their installations, so the overall FOSS
profile is probably significantly more secure than the overall
M$ community.  That's all just subjective speculation absent
hard data however.

Just MHO, FWIW.

-Bruce McCulley
freelance CISSP