The perception to many people is that their access provider will
not support you  if you use anything other than the listed
applications

The super clueless are perhaps a lost cause in any event.

But in order for things to progress for /US/, we need /THEM/. IOW, we need a market for high-quality professional applications, so that they will be produced. Why doesn't Adobe port Photoshop to Linux? Simple: there's not enough market for it to make it worthwhile. GIMP is nice, but anyone who does professional image work will tell you that Photoshop does a lot more.

This is very true. The Linux community needs to understand that the gimp is not photoshop, openoffice is not MS office, GNUCash is not quicken. The closest thing right now is Evolution and Outlook, and even then, there's enough little things to make somebody that's at home in Outlook feel a little awkward (me included).

If you tell somebody that uses photoshop for work and tell them to switch to Linux and they can get the gimp for free they're going to observe 3 things.. One, that the linux and gimp install were easy. Two, that linux is just as fast if not faster then windows, and fairly easy to navigate and Three, that the gimp is nothing like photoshop and there's a reason it's free. Then they'll re-install windows. Then they'll get "well there's a reason it's free" attitude and then not want to touch it again for a long, long time.

The average home user wants a technical support number, not a mailing
list. Besides, if their problem is a networking problem, or they can't
get their e-mail to work right, then they have no help.

Certainly true. But the point was that an alternate support system *does* exist. Not in the same form, but so what?

So what is it keeps people from using Linux. End of story.

Exactly, sometimes people don't want a tech support phone number for help, they want it to yell at somebody that their stuff isn't working.