Bill Mullen wrote:
I have no experience with other P2P apps than BitTorrent (and no interest
in them, really), but I can tell you that to get the most out of BT, you
need to tell your router to forward ports 6881 through 6889 inclusive to
the internal machine running BT. You also need to limit the upload rate to
no more than about 60-70% of your upstream bandwidth, or the inability to
send packets in a timely fashion will choke your download speeds - and not
just the BT d/l speed, but everything else on the box (browsing, etc.).

How the upload rate is limited will vary from client to client; with the
ncurses client, it's a command-line option (--max_upload_rate). I have no
idea how this is done with MLdonkey, nor do I know if it can support the
range of open ports that BT requires for proper (IOW, fast) operation.
Thanks

You
may have better luck with another client for the BitTorrent stuff - one
that is more specifically tailored to BT, and not one that "tacks it on".

Actually, MLDonkey 'speaks' BitTorrent, so it handles it well, I just haven't read through all that I need to yet.

So, my first question...Is a Linksys Router doing 'firewall' duty and
NAT easy to get past?  If the answer is yes, then what should I do?  Use
a firewall-specific distro to convert my old P133MHz box into a Linux
firewall?  Maybe someone wants $100 to come over and show me how it's
done? (location Newburyport, MA or E. Kingston, NH)

It should be acting as a reasonably effective firewall, and should only be
permeable on those specific ports you have left open /and/ forwarded to an
internal system. Should you opt to replace it with Linux, I've had great
results with SmoothWall (http://www.smoothwall.org), which is very easy to
install, works on low-spec systems, and has a browser-based interface. It
also includes the Squid proxy, and Snort for intrusion detection/logging.

[snip]
HTH!

Yes, thanks again.
--