--- Travis Roy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> People complain about the high property taxes in NH, but at least you
> know what you're paying and it's right there in front of your face.. not
> hidden all over the place with income and sales tax.

Moving here from Santa Barbara, I find the complaints about cost of living and taxes
in this area somewhat funny.  Try CA with a 9% income tax, an 8+% sales tax
(depending on location), and housing prices where a starter home is in the $600k
range (for which you get a cardboard box and enough land to walk around the box).
You don't really care about property taxes, because you simply can't afford
property.  And then there's the "sun tax" (which is part of the reason why you can't
afford property).  You also get some of the highest gasoline prices in the country
to boot (partially because of taxes).

As for New Hampshire and its property tax, at least you can choose your level of
taxation by the town you live in and the property you buy.  You also get to vote on
how the town spends your money.  My only complaint is that I didn't move here
sooner.

-Mike-

=====
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not
got it"
-George Bernard Shaw