Steven W. Orr wrote:

On Monday, May 10th 2004 at 06:47 -0400, quoth Travis Roy:

=>This isn't about Comcast blocking port 25 to prevent you from running a =>server..
=>
=>Recently my parents (that use Comcast) can no longer connect to port 25 =>of my server.. one that is legit, has correct reverse and MX records.
=>
=>Has anybody else seen this?
=>
=>Can anybody suggest a workaround.

This is no help for your problem, but I'll tell you what happened to me.

I'm in Framingham and I have a choice (currently) between RCN and comcast.

I'm with RCN but a while ago they shut off incoming port 80. Later on they shut off outgoing port 25. For the princely sum of only $240/year, I get the honor and priviledge of having those ports opened up. And I'm guaranteed that my IP address won't change. Ever.

Yah, my parents won't go for that.. They're to far away for DSL too, plus they get comcast TV/Phone/Net service for the bulk discount. They (being just end users) of course see it as something on my end, even after explaining it 20 times..

I just find it stupid that they would do something like this. It's one thing to block port 80 since running a webserver is against the AUP/TOS, but to block access to an outside mail server smells of crushing the competition and limiting choice.