On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 10:27, Travis Roy wrote:
> Either that or just open up the case, plug in a normal CD-Rom drive,
> install, remove drive, put in rack... Or get a USB CD drive and do it
> that way..

Actually, that won't work.  We order one of the HP servers (big mistake,
I hate the thing)... Anyway, it only seems to recognize the HP
cdrom/floppy combo thing that has a funky connector on it.  The problem
might have been that there was no IDE bus available, I don't recall as
it has been about a year, but I do remember that we couldn't just
install a "normal" CD ROM to boot/load from.

To address the original question... 1U servers are expensive, even on
the cheap end.  A 1U case alone is usually $250-$450 dollars, then you
have the cost of the components/etc.

If this is just for personal use, I would suggest maybe getting a Cobalt
Raq4, and run with that (~$350), or get an older Cobalt (2 or 3 maybe)
for about $200ish, scrap the system board (could probably re-sell that
on ebay for $100) and mount a mini-itx board instead.  You'd have a nice
1U box for maybe $400, as long as you don't mind doing a little metal
work on the case, and grafting on a new power supply connector.