On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Michael ODonnell wrote:

> I work in a corporate environment where the
> networking infrastructure (particularly the DHCP)
> is all Windows stuff and the guy in charge of it
> understands very little about DHCP and nothing at
> all about Linux, so he's not much use.  I swapped
> the NICs in my Linux box (let's say it previously
> had the hostname linux) and the DHCP server has
> now assigned my machine the name linux-1 since
> it believes a lease with the old name is still
> held by another interface (the old NIC).
>
> I want to communicate to the server that it's
> OK to assign the old name to my new interface

The simplest thing would be for the Windows sysadmin
to just delete the lease and let it be reassigned.
It ought not be but a minute to do. (I am not in
front of one of my Windows servers, so I can't tell
you exactly what steps to do.)

Alternatively, you could force your system to have
the same IP that it had when it was called "linux."

--
Dan Jenkins ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 603-624-7272