On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Michael ODonnell wrote:

> I work in a corporate environment where the
> networking infrastructure (particularly the DHCP)
> is all Windows stuff and the guy in charge of it
> understands very little about DHCP and nothing at
> all about Linux, so he's not much use.  I swapped
> the NICs in my Linux box (let's say it previously
> had the hostname linux) and the DHCP server has
> now assigned my machine the name linux-1 since
> it believes a lease with the old name is still
> held by another interface (the old NIC).
>
> I want to communicate to the server that it's
> OK to assign the old name to my new interface

(I meant to continue, but accidentally sent it to early.)

Manually set your IP to the same one as when you were know
as "linux" until the lease expires. That still doesn't help
that it now knows "linux-1" as the name associated with
your MAC. Hopefully the lease for "linux-1" would have
expired by then and you'll get "linux" when you go back
to DHCP.

If you could change the MAC address of your NIC to the same
MAC you formerly had when known as "linux" that would also
work. How to do this varies from NIC to NIC.

If you had the original NIC, you release the address. Though
I'm not sure how Windows handles that since it would still
know the new NIC as "linux-1."

Again, the best thing is if the Windows sysadmin just corrected
the problem, but as that doesn't seem to be a possibility, these
other kluges may help.

--
Dan Jenkins ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 603-624-7272