I'm forwarding to the list because i think that's what the original sender wanted.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: FTP Download issues (was Re: Destination show up twice in traceroute)
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 14:45:28 -0400
From: Fred
To: Jason Stephenson

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 16:32, Jason Stephenson wrote:
Oddly, or not, the IP address behind the firewall is the same as outside the firewall, so it can't be a strict NAT setup. I'm using NAT at home to share 1 IP address among 6+ computers.

Maybe next week, if I get a spare moment, I'll peruse the configuration.

Speaking of NAT issues, I've got one which is driving me nuts.

Simple FTP downloads are failing to complete on my Linux box which is
behind a firewall/NAT setup on a Linksys router.

The Linksys is only doing the NAT. The DHCP and name serving is being
handled by another Linux box on the network.

I have 6 or 7 computers behind the firewall, all sharing the same IP on
the cable modem (Comcast). I have no problems with ssh, scp, and most
other protocols -- just FTP. It does not matter whether I am doing FTP
in the Mozilla browser or from command-line with wget.

What happens is that the download dies part way through the download and
just hangs. It always seem to hang at the same percentage, though the
actual percent download varies from file to file. Nor is the number of
bytes it hangs on is consistent either across files or sites. Very
strange. I can download from the exact same URL on my remote webserver,
which is sitting on the backbone and not behind a firewall, just fine.

In fact, typically I will download something to that remote server, then
scp it in to my home workstation. Annoying, but serves as a workaround
until I can fix the problem.

Any ideas? Someone somewhere suggested the Linksys router might be
suspect, but I have upgraded its firmware once or twice and it has the
latest update as of a year ago (it's a 4-port wireless LAN router,
though I am not using the wireless in this configuration).

The cable modem is Surfboard.

And yes, I did make sure that the FTP is in "passive" mode -- no
difference. Downloads 20-80% and just hangs.

I am also having issues with yum hanging too, but I suspect its the same
issue, since it uses FTP for transfers as I understand.

Any ideas, insights, or wild-ass guesses will be GREATLY appreciated, as
was the suggestions for the other issue I posted earlier (that problem
is resolved -- thanks!).

-Fred Mitchell
 http://www.hydranuke.com

--
Fred -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
There are inflows and outflows -- and you're just a little node.