I've seen this behavior on PPP configured links. I
used ethereal to determine that each time the ftp
session sent a > 1452 byte frame it was dropped up
stream. A "Missconfigured" router/firewall was the
source of the problem.

> Searching for "tcp 1452 size" I got the following
technical note from
> cisco.
>

> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/794/router_mtu.html

This problem is common to many ISP's that have not
compensated for this bug. As well as other router
vendors that have stollen intellectual property bugs
and all.

Mike

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Speaking of NAT issues, I've got one which is
> driving me nuts.
> >
> > Simple FTP downloads are failing to complete on my
> Linux box which is
> > behind a firewall/NAT setup on a Linksys router.
> >
> > I have 6 or 7 computers behind the firewall, all
> sharing the same IP on
> > the cable modem (Comcast).
>
>   General fault isolation:
>
>   Does the same problem happen on all hosts behind
> the LinkSys?
>
>   Does the problem happen if you place a system
> outside the LinkSys,
> directly on the cable feed?  (Be sure to take
> appropriate precautions (like
> a host-based firewall) when you test this.)
>
> > What happens is that the download dies part way
> through the download and
> > just hangs. It always seem to hang at the same
> percentage, though the
> > actual percent download varies from file to file.
> ... In fact, typically
> > I will download something to that remote server,
> then scp it in to my home
> > workstation.
>
>   What you describe sounds suspiciously like a
> data-dependent line problem.
> I've seen this kind of thing twice in about fifteen
> years.  It occurs when
> there is some problem in a data line that is only
> triggered by a particular
> bit pattern.  So you can pump data through it all
> day long and never have a
> problem, but try to send a few dozen bytes of a
> particular pattern and it
> gets scrambled.
>
>   The reason I suspect this kind of problem is that
> you say it always
> happens at the same point in the same files.  That
> would indicate something
> at that point in the file is triggering the problem.
>  You also say that SCP
> works.  Since SCP encrypts the payload, the lines
> don't "see" the pattern
> that causes the problem.
>
>   Most recently, this happened to me a couple of
> years ago at a client.
> They had an Internet feed that would drop packets if
> you tried to send a
> packet filled with bit pattern

10000001100000011000000110000001100000011000000110000001