On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 20:42:51 -0400 (EDT)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, at 10:59am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> Fantastic news: we're having an Installfest, hosted by Bruce Dawson at
> >> Miles Smith Farm. Anyone is welcome to come - you can get your machine
> >> installed with a high quality Free operating system...
> >
> > Hmm.  Sounds like Libranet.
>
>   Since you're a Libranet fan, Bill, maybe you can point me at some
> authoritative information.  Exactly what terms is Libranet distributed under?
> I'm not trolling, believe it or not; this is actually relevant to me.  One
> thing I try to do is keep a local library of Linux distros so I can burn
> copies on request.  However, not ever distro allows that.  Examples are SuSE
> Linux Pro and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  What's the story with Libranet?
> I'm after a particular website or file I can verify; word-of-mouth or
> assumptions are not a grant of license.

Hi, Ben -

My experience with Libranet has been 100% responsive and supportive
for _anything_ I've asked them to help with.  One of the great things
about Libranet is that the company is small enough that questions
get answered by the guys who run the business.

You're right, word-of-mouth or assumptions are not a grant of
license, and therefore I'm not the one to speak for Libranet's policy
either, especially since "burn copies on request" could mean so many
things.  What I'd do is:  ask them:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Libranet does have a policy similar to Ghostscript's - the almost-new
distro is available for free download, while the brand-new distro they
charge for.  (I'm happy to pay for each new distro.  I get Free software
and lots of it, a WHOLE lot of integration, testing, and support, and
the shared experience of an enthusiastic community.  I want these guys
to stay in business, and so does everyone who has tried Libranet.)

As it happens, they just sent out the announcement for changeover time
on 2.8.1, so the current version is now available for free download.
Maybe that will help with what you want to do?  I'll attach the
announcement.

-Bill