On Aug 5, 2004, at 11:57, Derek Martin wrote:

It's the principle that no
one should EVER be reading my e-mail but me and my intended
recipients, regardless of the contents.  Some people will no doubt
feel that this principle is, practically speaking, not worth
defending.

"practically speaking" gets to the root of the issue. I suspect four out of five people on the street would agree with your sentiment and three out of four would be willing to click a 'keep my mail private' checkbox.

One out of ten thousand is willing to learn GPG and get his keys signed, install mailer plugins, etc. Not to mention that you and I are both e-mail encrypters but I'm using S/MIME and you're using PGP.

The technology is here, I assert the users' willingness is here, but usable implementations are not available. AOL, e.g., could issue certs to their users and transparently build S/MIME into their service, but obviously they don't want to. Ditto for gmail and all the rest.

-Bill
----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Text: [EMAIL PROTECTED]