----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Rundlett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Hewitt Tech" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 7:05 PM
Subject: Re: Why Intuit should have an Open Source version of QuickBooks...

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >>http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/11/05/HNsmboffice_1.html
> >>

> >So why should Intuit have an Open Source version of QuickBooks?
> >Because Microsoft is doing it?

The reason I said that is that historically Microsoft has introduced
incompatibilities for third party software and making QuickBooks compatible
with Open Source platforms would not only open up new markets but make them
less dependent on Microsoft behaving themselves.

> I think he meant that having a GPL'd version would allow the company to
> develop the product feature-set better than the company could do on it's
> own, giving pause to competitors who would need even larger resources to
> compete.  Still, the dual-license business model of a MySQL, AB may not
> be appropriate for a tax and accounting packaged software vendor.  I am
> not familiar with Intuit's revenue model.
>
> -- Greg
> _

I wasn't thinking so much that they would GPL their accounting product but
rather that they would deploy it on a Linux network.

QuickBooks is the 800 pound gorilla of the accounting world. Their installed
base of business users is several million. Oddly QuickBooks will happily
work with a Linux fileserver running Samba but Intuit won't support users in
that configuration. I can understand them not wanting to support Linux
proper but it puzzles me why they don't add Linux fileservers as a supported
configuration. They currently require some kind of Windows server, either
peer to peer or domain server for their network.

-Alex