> I'll second this. In fact, every Compaq that I've ever seen does
> this. It's usually the last partition on the disk, is roughly 32MB
> in size and generally of a type not recognized by Linux fdisk or fips.

It was actually the first partition and it was 5 GIGS in size.

> If you do manage to remove this partition, you can get it back by
> running the recovery CD that came with your Compaq. Then, you'll
> want to repartition the drive and not touch the one that meets the
> above criteria. You usually can't miss it, 'cause it shows up as
> Partition 4 on a system with only 2 partitions.

You say that like new computers come with rescue CDs.. This Compaq did not.
There is a utility to
create them to CD-R(W) media, but you're only allowed to do it once.

I did manage to finally get FreeBSD working. What I ended up having to do was
repartiton the drive,
let it recover to partiton 2 (the next one after the rescue partiton). It left
the other two new partitions
along.

Linux CDs still would not boot correctly, still no idea why. The only ones I
could get were a live
rescue CD (not Knoppix). Anything else would just cause the system to reboot.