On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 23:18 -0500, Randy Edwards wrote:
>  > My problem is that some of the drivers I need aren't keeping up with the
>  > kernel releases, like the NVIDIA drivers, for instance.
>
>    The driver issue in 2.6 has impacted me, though in the other direction.
> 2.6 includes some new mouse drivers and I've had issues with those in oldish
> touchpad laptops (though more recent releases have been better).

I despise touchpads. I use a wireless mouse with my laptop.

In any event, I used to have issues with touchpads under the 2.4 kernel.
The 2.6 kernel has cleared up those issues for me. I would imagine a lot
of backporting has taken place by now, anyway.

Now, if we can just get NVIDIA to keep more up to date and do releases
more often than once a quarter -- if that much.

Back to the kernel -- what I'd like to do evenutally is build a 64-bit
machine with perhaps 16Gbytes of ram, and make /tmp a ramdisk so I can
store all sorts of potentially sensitive information there that I don't
wish to keep on the harddrive, such as file caches and the like. Also, I
want to eliminate the paging file altogether -- don't see a point for it
when you have that much RAM.

Are there any issues with having a kernel running without a paging file
outside of giving you "extra" memory to swap out least-used pages?

Also, are there any issues with getting 32-bit drivers to work in a 64-
bit environment? Especially proprietary ones like NVIDIA?

--
-Fred
Your government delights in doing things "for" you.